A nineteenth century, French copper, oval ring mould. This mould has numerous marks but they all relate to the provenance and not the manufacturer. It is stamped “ST J. C.”. This is one of the identifying marks which were used by St. John’s College, Cambridge, which was established by a charter in 1511. It is also stamped “D.BRUVET” and, in another place there is an engraved crown above “D.S”. Both of these would have been the marks of previous owners and the crown is that of a Duke. It is likely that one of these previous owners gave the mould to the college.
Apparently this mould is from the collection of one of the head chefs who worked in the college kitchens.
It is made from a heavy gauge of copper. The design is fairly simple with fluted sides and a raised centre. There is very minor denting, from use, and the interior is worn, and slightly flakey, so it could not be used without re-tinning.
Dimensions: Height 9cm. Length 19cm. Width 12.5cm.
Price includes postage within the U.K. Shipping to the U.S.A. add £20. Western Europe add £10.
Please fill in the information below